10 Best Books On Solar Energy & Their Reviews
Reading the best books on solar energy will surely put you in a better position to make that shift to solar energy.
Solar energy is renewable energy, free, inexhaustible, and lessens pollution.
However, solar panels are not a new invention.
Yet, just in recent years, solar energy has started taking a prominent place in the electrical industry.
In this article, we present the best solar energy books that will inform you about the energy of the sun, solar panels, and installation.
1. Solar Energy: The Physics & Engineering of Photovoltaic Conversion, Technologies, and Systems
This book is one of the best solar energy books intended for students in the physics and engineering departments, researchers, industrial engineers, and designers.
It contains detailed information that will help you to fully understand how the solar system works.
Besides, the book covers the science of solar technology and presents a great resource for solar enthusiasts, researchers, and students.
This read contains questions for students to assess their understanding of the topic.
If your primary interest is in learning about solar power in detail, then this book is one of the best choices.
People working in the solar energy sector will also benefit from this book.
It is not just a book, but a perfect companion, and, definitely, one of the best solar energy books.
2. Photovoltaic Design & Installation For Dummies
Do you want to generate electricity from solar energy, the best renewable energy on our planet?
Photovoltaic Design and Installation for Dummies is one of the best solar energy books.
This read explains in an easy-to-understand way all the things you need to know about solar energy.
The writers of this book use simple terms and cover almost all aspects of installation for dummies and the operation of home-scale solar power systems.
The book also includes information about some specific materials for building a residential and mobile solar power system.
Readers found a lot of information and educative content that will enable you to learn about the photovoltaic revolution.
Other topics included are:
- How to check common components and systems
- Powering through electricity basics
- Warming up to the solar resource
- Things to consider and how to determine a site for your PV system
- The PV models ranging from sand to electricity
- Information about the basics of batteries
- AC and DC inverter
- A detailed guide on preventive measures
- Wiring and safety components
- Information on non-conductors, conduits, and safety components
3. Solaris: How You Can Design, Build & Set-Up Photovoltaic Components & Solar Electric Systems – Author: Phillip Hurley
Do you want to make a perfect plan to build and maintain your solar system?
This book is one of the best solar energy books that include very easy-to-follow directions and solar power installation for dummies.
Rich in illustrations and with over 150 photos, the book will give you an insight into a successful construction of a solar system.
After reading this book, you will be able to:
- Build racks and charge controllers
- Mount PV panels, wire solar panel arrays
- Make ventilated battery box, wire battery for solar panels
- Be able to calculate your daily electricity usage
- Plan the size of your solar electric system
- Install and maintain an inverter
- Understand how you can add solar batteries for optimum performance
4. Solar Electricity Handbook 2019 Edition: A Simple, Practical Guide to Solar Energy – Designing & Installing Solar Photovoltaic Systems – Author: Michael Boxwell
One fantastic thing about this book is that it shows you the pros and cons of setting up a solar system.
You can learn more about
- The process of solar installation
- How to generate electricity from sunlight
- The cost of setting up solar panels
- Advantages of solar energy
- Types of solar calculators
This is one of the best solar energy books with a question and answers page to satisfy your curiosity about the solar installation process.
Most importantly, this handbook gives you an overview of the tools you will need for solar installation.
This book contains a step-by-step guide that will help you understand how to build solar energy by yourself, all from scratch.
You will learn about the advantages of setting up a complete solar energy system.
Besides, the read also tackles the limitations of solar panels.
In this book, you will find links to online solar calculators and many interesting tips such as where to get tools to simplify solar installation.
5. Install Your Solar Panels: Designing & Installing a Photovoltaic System to Power Your Home – Author: Joe Burdick & Philip Schmidt
After reading this book, you don’t have to hire a professional for your solar installations.
Inside this book is a user-friendly manual, a step-by-step guide with pictures for illustration purposes that will save you thousands of dollars on labor-related aspects of solar installation.
It will help you choose the type of installation you will need based given available resources and reasons for installation.
You will learn the following:
- How to determine the size of the solar panels
- How to assemble rooftop rack
- Electrical connections with a detailed explanation of battery banks for off-grid systems
- Signing and installing a photo wall system that will power your home with solar energy
Joseph Burdick and Philip Schmidt, seasoned solar builders, are the authors of this solar energy book.
They will take you on a step-by-step guide to solar installation.
Moreover, they will also talk about how to determine the size, placement, and kind of installation you will need.
It is one of the best solar energy books to consider if you want a do-it-yourself installation guide.
6. Mobile Solar Power Made Easy! Do-It-Yourself Step-By-Step Instructions – Author: William Prowse IV
The authors of this solar power book covered all the topics about mobile solar power energy a beginner should know.
Besides, this book contains a step-by-step installation guide that will teach you how to add a solar panel to your car, RV boat, or van.
Likewise, you will learn how to save money and time while setting up your solar power installation.
Readers learn a lot about mobile solar systems from start to finish.
Besides, the book also contains methods that allow you to calculate the cost of your new solar system with pictorial demonstrations for easy understanding, which makes it one of the best solar energy books on the market.
So many books on solar energy are complicated, but this book is user-friendly.
The best solar energy books will teach you a lot, in a quick and easy-to-understand way.
I would gladly recommend this book to everyone because of the following reasons:
- Easy-to-use guide
- Equally suitable for dummies and professionals
- Gives a complete insight into types of solar systems
- Lists the advantages and the limitations of solar power
7. Do It Yourself 12-Volt Solar Power, 3rd ed- Author: Michel Daniel
This is one of the best solar energy books, an ideal read for you if your sole interest is learning how to make an alternative power supply around your home or garden.
Numerous ideas about power systems are shown in this book.
However, you will need to have practical knowledge of solar power to get the best out of this book.
Following the given steps in learning about setting up solar energy at home, as listed in this book, you will have an idea of 12-volt solar power systems.
This book will make you understand how to develop the strength to run your light and laptops, even your DVDs.
You will end up with some money in your pocket instead of spending it unnecessarily.
Solar energy setup gives you control over the type of energy supplies to your home.
This book will teach you:
- How solar electricity works
- The major components of the solar system
- Technical information
- The basic approach to the installation of solar systems
- Gain an insight on how you can develop solar energy that can power your home and office
Another exciting thing about this book is that you may develop an interest in solar energy, even if you do not have a passion for it right now.
The author did a fantastic job with this book and, for that reason, we have included it on our list of best solar energy books.
8. Build Your Own Low-Budget Solar Power System – Author: Steven Gregerson
Steven Gregerson, the author of this book, included all the necessary information on how to design a simple off-the-grid solar system.
You will learn about the solar panels and components for your solar system setup.
You will also understand how the system works if you are looking at doing a DIY solar project.
Do you want to learn from someone who has a lot of experience living off the grid for decades?
When you are done reading and understanding the contents of this book, you will be able to solar power your home effectively, without anyone’s help.
However, do not forget that this is a book that teaches you how to set up solar energy on a low budget.
You will be able to find out in detail how you can go about making your affordable solar system either for personal or commercial use.
9. DO IT YOURSELF SOLAR POWER: How To Power Everything From The Sun – Author: Micah Toll
Are looking to power everything ranging from your devices to your home all by yourself using solar energy,?
If that is the case, you should know that this is one of the best solar energy books in the market.
Readers get the necessary information about the solar energy system from this book.
You will learn:
- About all the components you need to power up the solar system
- All the processes involved in solar energy setup
- How to choose the right solar panel for your various projects
- To build your own stable solar energy system
- How to set up off-grid and small scale solar systems
- How you can power up mobile solar systems for vans, cars, boats, and RVs
This book covers small-scale projects (solar-powered portable gadget charger) and also includes off-grid home solar systems.
If you are someone who prefers to make things by yourself, then choose his.
This will be your guide in developing your solar energy to power up everything ranging from your devices to your home.
10. Photovoltaic Design and Installation Manual – Author: Solar Energy International
If you’re looking at learning how to design, install, and maintain photovoltaic systems, then this book is an excellent deal for you.
This book is a world-class solar energy training handbook.
The author discloses critical information about solar power.
It covers topics which include:
- PV applications and system components
- the basics of solar electricity
- solar site analysis
- hybrid system sizing
- utility-interactive PV systems
- component specialization
- system costs
- economics, case studies on safety issues
Readers get the necessary information about the solar energy system from this book.
Read this book for a better understanding.
Typical Uses of Solar Energy
Wearable Solar Devices/ Home Appliances
Some examples of wearable solar devices and solar home appliances include:
- tablets and cellphones
- solar thermostats
- solar air conditioner freezers
- rechargeable flashlights
- music speakers
An external charger isn’t necessary or is not needed to charge solar-powered smartwatches and gadgets.
Once these gadgets and smartwatches are exposed to sunlight, they automatically save up energy for future use.
Solar Lights generate electricity for outdoor solar lighting, thereby improving home efficiency.
Besides, solar lighting systems are wireless; they store the energy of the sun during the day and use it at night.
Likewise, solar lights enhance the outdoor decoration of your home, office, school, or church in the evenings.
The availability and affordability of solar lights are some of the reasons why many people prefer solar energy at home, school, office, and in churches to regular electricity.
Rooftop Solar Energy
Rooftop Solar Energy was invented to help homeowners save thousands of dollars on electricity per annum, cutting down their utility bills and energy use.
There are a lot of books on Solar Energy that can help you set up your solar system for home/office use, set up a mobile solar system, etc.
If you are looking at improving your carbon footprint, eliminating electric bills, then this is an excellent choice for you.
Home solar panel installation is all you need to get all this done.
The rooftop solar system is considered a home owner’s best friend.
It is a kind of traffic that is powered by sunlight.
It makes use of photovoltaic energy to operate.
Cars, trains, buses, and trucks can also be built to make use of this system.
Recently, a solar-powered aircraft was produced which traveled its way around the world.
Solar buses helped China to reduce its carbon footprint.
Most cars used for racing competitions are solar-powered.
I have listed below the 10 best books on Solar Energy.
They will enable you to learn about how you can build your solar energy even if you are a newbie to the solar system.
Reviews on these books have also been included.
With the help of the books on our list, you can easily learn interesting things about the sun, its power, and the possibilities of solar energy.
You can learn complex terms such as photovoltaic design and photovoltaic cells, as well as the photoelectric effect, PV system, and many others related to the construction of solar panels, whole solar systems, and their maintenance.
We suggested the above-listed books based on comprehensive research, usefulness, and market availability.
Adapting the solar system is the most profitable way to cut down the costs of electricity bills.
Besides, solar energy is free, available in all corners of the planet, and renewable energy; can be harvested without causing any damage to our ecosystems.